Facts about Permanent Residence for Foreigners in China(Part 1)

   How to submit application?  

Authority for handling application of aliens for permanent residence in China
is the public security administration of municipal people's government having districts under its administration,
and the branch public security bureau or county level public security bureau of
municipalities directly under the Central Government. The authority for examining and
verifying the applications filed by aliens for permanent residence is the public security administrations of various provinces,
autonomous regions or municipalities directly under the Central Government.
The authority for the examination and approval of the applications filed by
aliens for permanent residence is the Ministry of Public Security. 

The applicant or the parent of the applicant who is unmarried and aged under 18 years old
can apply for permanent residence in person, or entrust a third party to submit the application.
In case of application filed by an entrusted third party, the power of attorney issued by
the applicant should be provided. The power of attorney issued by applicants abroad
should be attested by Chinese embassies or consulate offices in the countries or regions. 


Next, let's talk about requirements for permanent residence of foreigners in China ~

  For Investment  

Foreign investors can apply for Permanent Residence if they have direct investment
in PRC for three years in a row and have a sound taxation record and meet any of the following terms and conditions:  

1. having made investment of over USD 500,000 in industries of encouraged type
as specified in the Catalogue of Industries of Foreign Investment released by the State;

2. having made total investment of over USD 500,000 in counties in the western part of
the country or in counties which are major targets of poverty relief work undertaken by the State;

3. having total investment of over USD 1 million in the central part of the country;

4. having total investment of over USD 2 million in PRC.

  For Employment  

Foreigners can apply for Permanent Residence for Employment if they satisfy the following conditions: 
1. having assumed the posts of deputy general manager or deputy director of plants
or higher level posts or posts of associate professors or associate research fellows
and similar posts for more than four years in a row, and the period of stay in
accumulation being no shorter than three years and having sound taxation record; 

2. the units where they work should meet any of the following terms and conditions:
A: institutions subordinate to the various ministries under the State Council or to the provincial level people's governments;
B: major higher learning schools;
C: enterprises or institutions executing major engineering projects or major scientific projects of the State;
D: high-tech enterprises, foreign invested enterprises in encouraged type,
foreign invested advanced technology enterprises or foreign invested export-oriented enterprises.

  For Employment  

This type of Permanent Residence is issued to aliens who have major and
outstanding contributions to PRC or needed urgently by PRC. 
Letter of recommendation and related proofs issued by
the competent authority of the Chinese government are required. 


If you want to learn more about the matters related to permanent residence for foreigners,
please follow and take note of Reindeer Station's official Wechat!

Please feel free contact Reindeer Station directly for inquiries !


Upcoming topics :

1.Requirements for Spouse Reunion


2.Requirements for Those Seeking Reunion with Parents


3.Requirements for Dependants


4.Processing Time and Fees


5.Additional Information



* Follow us for useful updates from Reindeer Station *


If you have any questions or 

anything interesting to share about 

living in China, please email 


Your question/sharing may 

get featured in our next article!